Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Updates on Dad

Dad's mini-stroke was determined to be a mini-stroke and not a TIA- because according to his doctors -a TIA lasts for 10 minutes or less and Dad's lasted at least a half an hour. That's not what it says on the Mayo Clinic website, but if that's the terminology they wish to use, then that's okay with me. I am thinking mini-stroke may be more accurate because to me it seems there are residual effects from the incident. His personality seems to have changed slightly, understanding and quick response seems to have diminished. Perhaps its just because I see him all the time and when he is different, it stands out.


Dad came home on Monday afternoon the 18th. He was started on Coumadin/Warfarin. I know this is very common and there were a LOT of questions why Dad hasn't been on this before. He had a stroke in the late 90's and he has had major heart surgery. Whatever the reasoning, he is on it now. They want his INR to be between 2-3.

We were worried about this because he seems to have issues with clotting, and he bruises very easily, but the INR test done in the hospital was only 1.1 and the test done the the 20th and 22nd were 1.2 and 1.4- so he has a way to go before he hits the desired 2-3.

On Sunday, the 17th, Urology was brought in for a consult because he wasn't fully voiding. The urologist talked about putting him on a "shrinker and relaxer" for his prostate.He said he had to see if the hospital had it because it is so new and is a combo of Flomax and Avadart. To make a long story shorter, he forgot to prescribe it and there were NO NOTES in his medical records to even show this particular doctor saw my dad. My daughter was there when the doc came in and knew him from a surgery my grandson had. So, we finally got the prescription and have found out this is SO new the pharmacies around here have to order it. It will not be available until Monday afternoon. It is also so new it is not listed on the http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ website.

My daughter asked Dad how he was feeling about what happened. Dad said it reminds him of his favorite song by Frank Sinatra-  My Way



Dad has always loved the song- but his emphasis now is on the first line. "And now the end is near; and so I face the final curtain."

I don't know if that is true. I don't know if the end is near; but if he feels that way, it might delay in his getting better.

Not an easy subject to discuss and made even harder because it is nearly impossible to get Dad alone long enough for a good discussion.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Lots of things to think and pray about.

No comments: