Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Another Thought

When I first started writing this blog I thought it would mainly be about my Mom and about Alzheimer's. As it turns out Care Giving is really what it is about. It is also about my struggles to do the right thing and still have a life of my own, as well as my parent's struggles to live the end of their lives with grace and dignity.


I should know that sometimes a piece of writing takes on a life of its own. How many times have I started a sermon with one thought in mind to find out I have been led in a different direction entirely? And so it is with this.


Dealing with my mother's Alzheimer's and my dad's health concerns gives me a lot to think about as far as my own life and how I have or have not taken care of myself. It, as they say, gives me pause.


So today I took a time out and walked down to the river to pray. (and yes that is the title of a song by Alison Krause from the movie  O Brother Where Art Thou? And yes, I did sing it while I sat there.


I also sang:

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
 
whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
It is well with my soul,

it is well, it is well with my soul.

(And the horses didn't seem to mind...)


It was a beautiful fall day in the seventies and this was my view from the rivers edge.


They did notice me at first, but the water and the grass were much more interesting to them than me.


The water was calm even though the wind was blowing. It was so nice to just sit and relax.




For those of you who worry that I don't take time for myself, here is proof that at least for an hour and a half today- I did. And it was wonderful.