Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Looking for the Joy

The relief of my Mom knowing she has Alzheimer's has subsided. We haven't talked about it since Tuesday and I am afraid to bring it up. I am afraid she will have forgotten and I will cause unnecessary pain and suffering for us all.

She is still mad about the car. She hates it and poor Dad is getting the brunt of her anger over it. I am sure this will change when Wednesday comes and we visit with Dr. A. She will have something else to be upset about.

I'm not saying that to be flip or "cute". It's just what it is. Changes are difficult. As you get older, they get more difficult. When a person has dementia they are extremely difficult.

I'm looking for the pieces of joy that I know are still available to her. I just have to find them and bring them to her attention. But I'm seeing sometimes joy is difficult to recognize when your life is turned upside down with Alzheimer's. The joy I see doesn't make sense to her at times and is therefore not joyful.

For some reason- which hasn't has made itself known to me yet- this reminds me of the Quaker song, "Tis the Gift to be Simple."

'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free,

'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,'
Twill be in the valley of love and delight.


When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.
 
So may it be for me.

No comments: