Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Rump Roast Wars

Friday Mom and I went to the grocery store to get something for dinner for that evening and for Saturday evening. We chose ham steaks for one night and a nice rump roast for another. Mom picked out the rump roast for me.

We had the ham steaks on Friday and then on Saturday I made the rump roast. Mom asked me a number of times during that day what we were to have and I told her the "nice rump roast you picked out." I studded it with fresh garlic like Mom always did and put it in a slow oven to roast. When it was done, it was nice and pink inside- just like Mom used to make. I didn't carve it as nicely as my dad or my DH does, but I did my best.



As we were eating, Mom kept looking at her meat and muttering. Finally she said, "I have NEVER had rump roast prepared this way before."

"What Mom?" 

"I've never seen rump roast prepared this way before."

Realizing I might again be entering an alternate universe I tried to make sense of what she was saying.

"Mom, I made it the way you always used to make it. I learned from you."

"I have never made rump roast like this. A rump roast is a pot roast and you should cook it in liquid."

Knowing that my mother used to comment about people who didn't know how to correctly prepare a nice rump roast, I was at a loss for words. She used to say what a waste it was to cook rump roast as if it were pot roast. Chuck roast or am roast were for making pot roast.

Dad is sitting next to me and under his breath (thanks Dad!) he is saying, "She always cooked rump roast this way."

Mom asked me what recipe I used. I explained to her I didn't have a recipe, i just made it the way I was shown.

"Well, I have to find the recipe for this. It isn't right. Where are my recipes? Where are my cook books? You need to learn how to do this."

I kept my voice even as as pleasant as I could. "Mom, this is how I fix rump roast. This is how I have always fixed rump roast. This is how my family likes it. I'm sorry you don't care for it."

"Don't you want to know how to make it better?

"Nope. I like it just the way it is."

Mom and Dad had leftovers on Sunday because I was called out to a hospital visit. Dad had ham. Mom had rump roast. She nuked it in the microwave so badly dad said she could hardly chew it. Glad I wasn't here to see it or hear about it!

1 comment:

Cher said...

Wow like minds, I just did a rump for Corey when he was home. I learned from grandma how to do a perfect rump... I remeber helping peal the Garlic and then when oler learing how to do the holes to put them in.

Corey had asked me once how I learend to do it... I thought he was nuts for never having had one that way...

Tommy and all of us have been eating on them for the last few days... I wouldn't waste such a tender peaice of meat on a pot lol..

I'm so sorry... that had to have been like an out of body expearience...

Love you
Cher