Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole...

I was asked what this is like the other day. I've said before it is like living in a different dimension. But Friday when I was explaining something that had happened I said it is a lot like being Alice- you never know which rabbit hole you're going to end up in.

Today it was about medication again. Only this time Mom couldn't find her night-time medication that helps her go to sleep. She insisted she had run out.

We had filled 5 prescriptions on the 12th. That medication was one of them. She swore she never got it and insisted that Dad call the pharmacy. I told her I would help her look after I finished writing a paper, but she insisted again that it wasn't anywhere in the house. We got a little short with each other.

When I finished writing the paper, I went looking for Mom. She was in her bedroom with all of her pill containers lined up on her dresser. She had some small pill cups with some medication in them and she had her 7 day pill case.

I asked if she found her meds. She said yes, and I asked her where. She said, "You don't want to know." I said, "yes I do, in case you can't find them again." She said she would never put them where she had hidden them ever again. I told her it might be a good idea to show me just in case. She had put two of the new pill bottles underneath some clothing in her closet.

I noticed (again) that she had some of her blood pressure pills and her Aricept left in her pill box.  She said she won't take the water pills before she goes anywhere because she doesn't want to have to go to the bathroom. And she said they don't help her blood pressure anyway.

Of course my next reply was, "they can't help if you don't take them."  I asked her how  she knew they didn't help- had she been checking her blood pressure?

She took me into their "office" and said "this side of the room is your Dad's side and the blood pressure machine is on his desk. My side of the room is over here."

I said "I'm confused. Don't you guys share?"

She started whispering, "Well I told you before I'm not supposed to be here.Sometime we need to sit down and talk about divorcing your dad."

I said "Sure Mom, we can talk, but don't you need to finish with your medications? I bet I can get Dad to share with you." She said she needed to finish her medications and we could talk later when we were alone.

This is the second time (at least) recently that she has suggested she might divorce Dad and go live back in our hometown. It really is pretty funny in that Mom has ALWAYS said she would NEVER divorce Dad, that she believed marriage was for life and if he ever tried to leave she wouldn't agree to a divorce and would make him suffer. Now she's throwing the D word around like it is nothing.

When I told my DH he laughed and said to remind her that she is Catholic and "can't" get divorced.

Later Mom showed me her medication list, She has made up abbreviations to show where the different pill bottles should be. CD is "closet drawer"  BC is bathroom cabinet. BCT is bathroom cabinet over the toilet and there is one more... She told me I have to memorize them in case she forgets what they mean. I told her maybe she needs to list the abbreviations in case we both forget!

She thought that was funny.

It gets curiouser and curiouser...

1 comment:

Cher said...

The D word??? If they were gonna get a divorce they should have years ago with their "Loud Talks" lol..

Why would she "hide" medication on the floor in her closet? Sounds like things are getting weirder and weirder...

Still no news on Stevens.. will let you know when we know...

Hang in there!
Do you think she's throwing around the D word because of the move? She didn't want to move...

I can't imagine her being afraid of Grandpa now..

I loved dad's comment to lol how funny..

Love you and hang in there!